1. All of us have moments in our lives where we became alive for the first time, and when we go back to those moments and think, “this is when I became myself.”
2. Imagine a future moment in your life where all your dreams come true. It’s the greatest moment of your life, and you get to experience it with one person. Who’s standing next to you?
3. There are things that I don’t understand: how infinite space is, and who decides your fate. Why everything will someday wither into nothing. How to avoid defeat, when truth and fiction meet. Why nothing every turns out the way you plan it.
4. Everyone has that relationship that they never quite get over. No matter what happens in between, when you’re together, it’s like nothing has changed. Deep down, you both know that you’re supposed to be together, but you just can’t seem to make it work.
5. Who gets to determine when the old ends and the new begins? It’s not on the calendar, it’s not a birthday, it’s not a new year, it’s an event- big or small, something that changes us, ideally, it gives us hope, a new way of living and looking at the world, letting go of old habits, old memories. What’s important is that we never stop believing we can have a new beginning, but it’s also important to remember, amid all the crap are a few things really worth holding on to.
6. But, sometimes, we’re so focused on finding our happy ending, we don’t learn how to read the signs. How to tell from the ones who want us and the ones who don’t, the ones who will stay and the ones who will leave. And maybe, a happy ending doesn’t include a guy, maybe…it’s you on your own, picking up the pieces and starting over, freeing yourself up for something better in the future. Maybe the happy ending is this, knowing after all the unreturned phone calls, broken hearts, through the blunders and misread signals, through all the pain and embarrassment…you never gave up hope.
7. Cause you know what? Tragedies happen. What are you going to do, give up? Quit? No. I realize now that when your heart breaks, you’ve got to fight like hell to make sure you’re still alive. Because you are. And that pain you feel? That’s just life.
8. Sometimes, you just want to put other people’s happiness before yours…because you love them, because they deserve it. Sometimes, you want to go out of your way for other people, just because you know it’s important that they get a chance to smile once in a while.
9. It doesn’t matter how tough we are. Trauma always leaves a scar. It follows us home, it changes our life. Trauma messes everybody up. But maybe, that’s the point. All the pain, all the fear, all the crap. Maybe going through all that is what keeps us moving forward. It’s what pushes us. Maybe we have to get a little messed up. Before we can step up.
10. Do you ever put your arms out and just spin and spin? Well, that’s what love is like. Everything inside you tells you to stop before you fall, but you just keep going.
11. Love is not a decision, love is a feeling. If you decide who you loved, it would be a lot easier and a lot less magical.
12. Too often, the thing you want more than anything is the one thing you can’t have. Desire leaves us heartbroken, it wears us out. Desire can wreck your life. But, as tough as wanting something can be, the people who suffer the most, are those who don’t know what they want.
13. When you’re young, your whole life is about the pursuit of fun. Then, you grow up and learn to be cautious. You could break a bone, or a heart. You look before you leap and sometimes, you don’t leap at all because there’s not always someone there to catch you. And in life, there’s no safety net. When did it stop being so fun and start being scary?
14. Sometimes in life, there are bonds formed that can never be broken. Sometimes you can find that one person who will stand by you no matter what. Maybe, you will find it in a spouse, and celebrate it with your dream wedding. But there’s also a chance that the one person you can count on for a lifetime, the one person who knows you sometimes better than yourself, is the same person who’s been standing right beside you all along.
15. Sometimes, it’s easier to try to make it alone, rather than to risk getting hurt again. Sometimes, it’s easier to be numb towards certain people, so I don’t let them get too close. Sometimes, I’m scared. But when I act numb towards you, it doesn’t mean I don’t care. It just means that I care too much.
16. You can try your hardest. You can do everything and say everything, but sometimes, people just aren’t worth trying over anymore; they aren’t worth worrying about. It’s important to know when to let go of someone who only brings you down.
17. Heroes didn’t leap tall buildings or stop bullets with an outstretched hand; they didn’t wear boots or capes. They bled, and they bruised, and their superpowers were as simple as listening, or loving. Heroes were ordinary people who knew that even if their own lives were impossibly knotted, they could untangle someone else’s. And maybe, that one act could lead someone to rescue you right back.
18. If you think about it, your favorite memories, the most important moments of your life….were you alone? Life’s better with company.
19. When you’re young, everything feels like it’s the end of the world.But it’s not. It’s just the beginning. You might have to meet a few more jerks, but one day, you’re going to meet a boy that treats you the way you deserve to be treated. Like the sun rises and sets with you.
20. We need a hero, courageous sacrificing people, setting examples for all of us. Everybody loves a hero, people line up for them, cheer for them, scream their names, and years later, tell us how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one that told them to HOLD ON for a second longer. I believe there’s a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally gets us to die with pride. Even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the things we want most, even our dreams.