1. You’re going to come across people in your life who will say all the right words at all the right times. But in the end, it’s always their actions you should judge them by. It’s actions, not words, that matter.
2. I just need a guy who will hold his ground and tell me to stop running from everything I’m afraid of. Who’s not afraid to scream at me until I realize that it’s okay. That it’s okay to love, to be committed in a relationship, to have feelings for somebody, to fall in love, to have the wedding that I’ve always dreamed of, and most importantly, to wish and hope that someday, the fairytale that I’ve always imagined for myself will come true. Even if there’s not always a white horse and a prince waiting at the end.
3. Only once in your life, I truly believe, you find someone who can completely turn your world around. You tell them things that you’ve never actually shared with another soul and they absorb everything you say and actually want to hear more. You share hopes for the future, dreams that will never come true, goals that were never achieved and the many disappointments life has thrown at you. When something wonderful happens, you can’t wait to tell them about it, knowing they will share in your excitement. They are not embarrassed to cry with you when you are hurting, or laugh with you when you make a fool out of yourself. Never do they hurt your feelings or make you feel like you are not good enough, but rather, they build you up and show you the things about yourself that make you special and even beautiful. There is never any pressure, jealousy, or competition, but only a quiet calmness when they are around. You can be yourself and not worry about what they will think of you because they love you for who you are. The things that seem insignificant to most people such as a note, song, or walk become invaluable treasures kept safe in your heart to cherish forever. Memories of your childhood come back and are so clear and vivid, it’s like being young again. Colors seem brighter and more brilliant. Laughter seems part of daily life where, before, it was infrequent, or didn’t exist at all. A phone call or two during the day always helps to get you through a long day’s work and always brings a smile to your face. In their presence, there’s no need for continuous conversation, but you find you’re quite content in just having them nearby. Things that never interested you before become fascinating because you know they are important to this person who is so special to you. You think of this person on every occasion and in everything you do. Simple things bring them to mind like a pale blue sky, gentle wind, or even a storm cloud on the horizon. You open your heart knowing that there’s a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible. You find that being vulnerable is the only way to allow your heart to feel true pleasure that’s so real it scares you. You find strength in knowing you have a true friend and possibly a soulmate who will remain loyal until the end. Life seems completely different, exciting and worthwhile. Your only hope and security is in knowing that they are a part of your life.
4. I won’t force myself to have a space in your life, because if you know my worth, you’ll create one for me.
5. It’s really scary when you get attached to someone. You spend time with them, you get to know them. You find yourself knowing their favorite color, food, movie, song. You discover their flaws and their talents. And as time goes on, you learn more and more, absorbing every second of detail without even realizing it. Then one day, you wake up and realize how much this person actually means to you, and you love them for every strength and weakness. They make you feel warm and secure, but most of all, they bring you happiness. And to bring happiness to someone in such a way is a strong and powerful thing. It could break a person completely. Some say those who fall in love are young and dumb. I say they show an incredible amount of bravery. It takes courage to trust somebody with your entire heart.
6. It’s complicated. I think when bad things happen- whether someone dies or people argue or split up- you get to a point where it’s just too hard to go back. There’s so much lost. So many versions of the truth. So many versions of how things might’ve turned out differently. We all long for what could’ve been. For some people, it’s just easier to move forward and try to forget.
7. It’s never been about trying to look well-behaved. It’s just how I am. I guess it’s a weird thing to be 19 and not ever have been drunk, but for me, it just feels normal because I don’t really know any other way. I don’t know if I’d be comfortable getting wasted and not knowing what I’ve said. That doesn’t mean when I’m older that I won’t have a glass of wine. I don’t think it’s such a strange thing for me not to be wasted all the time.
8. “Among other things, you’ll find that you’re not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You’re by no means alone on that score, you’ll be excited and stimulated to know. Many men have been just as troubled morally and spirtually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You’ll learn from them-if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It’s a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn’t education. It’s history. It’s poetry.”
~Catcher in the Rye.
9. You know, they say that when you love something, you should set it free.
10. I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go. Things go wrong so that you can appreciate them when they go right. You start to believe less so that you can eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes, good things fall apart, so that even better things can fall together.
11. Though it’s an uncomfortable thought, before God can really begin to use a person for His purposes, He must break that person. Brokenness is not a popular idea in our culture, but there is usually no sweeter time of intimacy with God than when He takes our life and our sinful habits, and destroys them, so that He can build us up again.
12. Goodbye without reasons is the most painful one. Love without reasons is the most beautiful one.
13. We must hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, and lose in order to gain. Because some lessons in life, are best learned through pain.
14. Nothing is more beautiful than a confident girl who doesn’t pretend to be something she’s not, down to earth, and lets no guy define who she is.
15. When you find your prince, you will realize that all the frogs that came before him suddenly won’t matter anymore.
16. Why can’t we get all the people together in the world we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn’t work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves and then we have to say goodbye. I hate goodbyes. I know what I need. I need more hellos in my life.
17. There are no rules when it comes to love. I just try to let love surprise me because you never know who you’re going to fall in love with. You never know who’s going to come into your life- and for me, when I picture the person I want to end up with, I don’t think about what their career is, or what they look like. I picture the feeling I get when I’m with them.
18. There are only four words that are so much better than “I love you.” And those words are, “I’m here to stay.”
19. We don’t need to rush. If something’s bound to happen, it will happen. In the right time, with the right person and for the best reason.
20. Some people believe that holding on is a sign of great strength. However, there are times when it takes more strength just to let go.